History of Ludcke:
Home of the Institute
Although the Harvard Business School was established in 1908, it was not until June 2, 1925, that construction of todays campus began. Facing the large open court in front of Baker Library, Ludcke originally served as the Faculty Club. The original campus plans, based on classical models, were designed by the nationally prominent architectural firm of McKim, Mead & White.
As of the mid-1950s, the entire faculty was still small enough that it could meet and eat together on the second floor of the Faculty Club. Since then, the building has been home to the Doctoral Program, External Relations, the Communications Group, and most recently, the Department of Operations. The building has also experienced several name changes. It was once named the Old Doctoral Building and Alumni Center. In 1991, the building was renamed Ludcke in appreciation of a generous gift from Mr. and Mrs. Gipp L. Ludcke. Ludcke (MBA 25) was a pioneer in the mutual fund industry and an active supporter of the School for many years.
As home for the Institute, restorations have made the building more in keeping with its original plans. The Institute is proud to be housed in this venerable Harvard Business School building.
For the holidays, December